Taskbar

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I recently finished Cate Rowan's "The Source of Magic" and she graciously allowed me to interview her! 
The Source of Magic, was a wonderful, exciting read! 

1. To begin, I'd like to ask you why you write romance/fantasy books. What is it about this genre that compels you to write?

I've always loved the idea of magic and fantasy worlds. My father gave me an illustrated version of Tolkien’s The Hobbit when I was seven. I was entranced! After Tolkien, I found C.S. Lewis’s Narnia series, Madeline L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time, Ursula K. LeGuin’s Earthsea trilogy, and Anne McCaffrey’s Pern. Those books shaped me--both who I am as a person and as a writer.

The Pern books were special for me because many of them have a romantic subplot. I adored the love aspect without even knowing there was more romance reading to be found in the world. I finally discovered the full romance genre, and after that all my writing melded fantasy and romance. Hooray for magic and love!


2. What inspired The Source of Magic?


I was bored one day while waiting for a bus and fell into a daydream. Very useful things, those daydreams. The initial image was of a falcon materializing from nowhere into an unsuspecting woman's kitchen. That image didn't make it into the final book, but it led me down the path of this novel. (Who knows, maybe I'll use the falcon someday in a different tale.)


3. What is your favorite genre to read & why?

One of the few non-fun parts about being a writer is losing time to read. It can also be hard to find books that don't put me into "analysis mode" instead of "enjoyment mode"--d'oh! Sometimes I'll pick up a memoir just to read something very different from what I write. Even so, I was drawn to writing fantasy and romance because I love to read them the most. I recently stumbled across Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters series and I was captivated. They're romantic historical fantasy and beautifully done.


4. Are any of the characters in The Source of Magic based on real life people?

100% made up--although I'd love for them to show up in real life. Except maybe Bhruic, the villain, LOL. (Having my characters here in real life might be my favorite writing fantasy, but I'll guess I'll have to make do with the occasional dream.)


5. Out of all the books you have written, which one is the nearest and dearest to your heart? Why?



Ack! How do I choose among my brainchildren? Hmm... I guess it would have to be Kismet's Kiss, a sequel to The Source of Magic. Kismet's Kiss is a fantasy romance between an autocratic king and a magical healer from an enemy land. The story's desert palace setting (something like Aladdin crossed with The King and I) was one of my favorites to run around in. And the storyline pushes a lot of boundaries, including some deeply-held expectations of the romance genre. That boundary-pushing is one of the reasons I'm so proud of its two nominations for the Romance Writers of America Golden Heart award.


6. I'm sure you have many favorite author moments, could you share one with us?

The very first time I got a message from a fan was a total thrill. Stories live in a writer's head for weeks or months or even years before finally making it into readers' hands. When a reader deeply connects with a story and lets me know--well, that's simply magical. It means I got a chance to share my inner world with someone and they loved being there. Even better, that first fan message happened to be from an author I truly respect. *double woohoo*


7. Please share three crazy/fun/strange facts about yourself!

I'm a huge fan of Claussen dill pickles, I love kissing my kitties' bellies (and as rulers of the house, they happily accept this homage to their awesomeness), and I want a Star Trek transporter so I can transport myself onto the deck of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D (Next Generation era, thank you).


8. What advice would you give beginning authors - those who are just breaking into the publishing world?



Be patient with yourself and with the market. Write the very best you can, put it away and work on something else, and then come back to it; you'll notice things to be improved. Be aware of your own limitations and learn when to ask for help or suggestions. And also listen to your gut. Your subconscious will help you improve your work if you let it.


9. You have quite a few plot turns in this book and are credited with being a master of twists. How do you keep your ideas so fresh and appealing to your readers? 

You have the same reputation, Ashley. :-) As for me, I try not to do the most obvious thing--though sometimes I've realized that the most obvious thing to me is not the most obvious thing to anyone else! That comes in handy. 

I also look for things I'll enjoy writing about, and that usually means unusual settings--often on another world, or with magic--or situations with built-in challenges, like getting abducted into another word (in The Source of Magic) or risking entering the enemy's lair to help him (Kismet's Kiss). The novel I'm working on now takes place in our contemporary world, but involves a being that shouldn't exist: a djinn (genie). Characters are more interesting when they have to face something they thought impossible.


10. The main character, Jillian, is a very appealing character. While she doubts herself, she finds that she is much stronger than she believed. I find this appealing as many people are put to the same tests - one which they find a deep rooted strength within themselves. Did you plan this life lesson for Jillian and or did your writing just lead to it? How much planning was involved for this character?

I'm glad Jilian resonated with you! I first wrote the book about a dozen years ago, so my memory of the writing is a little hazy now--but I mainly wanted to put her into a tough situation (alongside an intriguing romantic interest) to make her dig her way out. To do it, she had to figure out her strengths--and pursue them. Your Fins trilogy makes Morgan do those things, too.

I believe one of the reasons we love to read stories, particularly genre fiction like fantasy or romance, is to watch the characters grow over the course of the story. As readers we're usually empathizing with the main characters, so we experience that growth, too. Reading a great book is like living an extra life in a few hours. Hooray!


11. The saying "sex sells" has lead to a great many lewd & crassly written books. How do you keep from falling into this trap?



I'm a romantic at heart. Real love is sexy, but it can also be so tender. Although I read and enjoy books of many styles, from sweet to sizzling erotic, I'm most comfortable writing about sexual situations when they're a key part of a growing emotional connection for adult characters. I guess sex all by itself is less interesting a concept to me than true love!



My review: 
4 enthusiastic stars!
Exhausted with the hand life has dealt her, Jillian feels beaten to her very core. To top it off, her mother is succumbing to a strange illness the doctors cannot heal. Suddenly, she is transported to another dimension - one in which people live hundreds of years longer than humans and where magic and heroism is commonplace. Despite being tossed into this confusing new realm, Jillian finds her inner strength along with new found powers which may help her find a cure for her mother. Can she resist the powerful handsome prince and return to save her mother? Will she use her powers to help rid the land of the evil villain plaguing it? Or would everything be so much easier if she just gave up? Read The Source of Magic to find out. And clear a few hours out of your day to do so as you won't be able to put this book down!

Please check Cate out at her website!

No comments:

Post a Comment